Thursday, February 18, 2010

Sicker Than a Perro :(

Monday my throat started feeling tight, Tuesday I called in sick to work. Wednesday I thought I was getting better because I lost my voice but most of the pain was gone... Today I woke up sicker than before. :( I have not been to work since Monday! What is this madness??

So although I am not sure when my body will decide to recover, I have had some nice moments through it all. Here are the highlights of having been sick. :)

1. I repainted my nails a neutral pigment called "SoHo" and toenails a flashy melon, "Pink Promenade Creme". (Who gets paid to make up the nail polish shade names? At the Sally Hansen marketing board meeting, where everyone is passing around bottles of recently-produced pigments: "Remember ladies: only names that sound juicy, sweet or sophisticated. I don't care if the pigment is a soft salmon, call it 'Beige Beauty' instead! Our customers don't want to be thinking 'Salmon Fingers'!!" It's like Crayon names on feminine steroids - what I would give to have that job...) Painting my nails helps me unwind when I'm stressed and feel like I have some sort of control over my life, which doesn't surprise me after something I learned a little while ago from my friend Tyler. Did you know that habits you acquire during puberty are the habits you will turn to, in order to de-stress, for the rest of your life? I am paraphrasing this very simply (so bear with me here), but they become the hardest habits to break because the intense chemicals and hormones sear the habit into your mind - and when your hormones have leveled out as time goes on, it is something that has already become deeply rooted into your life's routine. So word to the wise, my pre-teen friends: be careful about what you choose to help you de-stress yourself. My personal curse: painting nails. But hey, this hardly hurts anyone or myself... so I'm not complaining. :)
2. My friend Ben brought me some of his mom's hot lime chicken soup, which was delicious and homemade by Ben himself! :) I have said that I've been craving some homemade chicken noodle soup, but this was just as good if not better. It was spicy, which felt amazing against my sore throat. Poured over rice, it was fabulous. Plus it is just nice when someone acknowledges that you are sick and wants to help you get better. :) Now to Campbell's for some chicken noodle!
3. Some people hate old films because they are too "cheesey", too "simple" or don't have enough of the new-fangled dramatic effects. This is exactly why I LOVE them. I watched Seven Brides For Seven Brothers yesterday for the first time in years and fell in love with it all over again. I want to be Millie, that beautiful yet strong woman with a huge personality just packed into her small frame. She has a backbone but is the ultimate feminine role model. And watching movies like that only reiterates my love for the simpler life. Going on my bucket list for sure: living on a ranch.
4. Nanette, the mom of the house where I live, has been so kind to me - while I've been here in general but especially while I've been sick! She has been so accommodating and has been making sure that I get everything that I need. Last night before I went to bed, we discovered that there wasn't any NyQuil in the house. She went out - when it was almost midnight - to get some, and came back with my cousin Kylie and Kylie's stash: two bottles of NyQuil and a box of Theraflu. And that's just one example! What sweethearts. :) I love this family!
5. I have the most wonderful best friend that I have been missing to death since I moved here - and she and I Skyped, for the first time since I moved, last night! We laughed and talked about anything and everything. I love Rachael so much, I can't tell you what a gem she is. I am going to miss her terribly while she is in China, but I guess it's only fair that she have her own adventure since I did ditch her for Arizona. :) Regardless, it was so nice to "see" her face again - as much as a computer screen will let me see of it, anyway!
6. Getting out of the house last night to visit teach was amazing - not only because I was getting out of the house, but the experience itself. My partner Bekah and I are a new duo so this was our second time visiting teaching together and our first time visiting teaching this person in particular. She (the person we were going to visit teach) was running very late last night, so we ended up teaching her a half an hour later than planned. I went to Bekah's house anyway to wait until we would head out, and she and I ended up talking that whole time. We opened up to each other and bonded and it was so nice - to begin to befriend someone who was sweet but to also find someone with similar struggles to your own. I can already tell that I am going to love visiting teaching with her. :)

So amid the sniffles and sneezes, coughs and wheezes... I think it's been a good week so far. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment