I can picture it though: deeply-rooted ties. The relationships you have with others could even be on a fairly surface or shallow level, but that next door neighbor that you have seen through every season of your life is definitely a big figure at your wedding. I can imagine that growing up in one place would make you very opposed to change, and that big steps in life - such as moving off to college or moving to a different state for a job - are a little bigger than they might be for someone who is used to it.
I have moved 7 times in my life, and have lived in 5 states. I am now getting ready to move again to another semi-permanent address - Arizona. I grew up for part of my childhood there, but I do not remember much of the set up of the city where I will be staying - let alone the city where I will be interning (I will be commuting between two). Most of the kids that I went to elementary school with will either be away at college in different states, or will still be at home but will have changed too much for things to fall into place again. 7 years can take you in a completely different direction - especially when the 7 years are some of the most pivotal years of your life; the years when you are really finding yourself (or losing yourself, depending on the road you take).
Nervous? A little. I'm a really social person and I think I've grown a little too comfortable at home - I need to start over fresh again, and really put myself out there. Technically, I did start over a few months ago during my first semester of college out of state - but I don't think that counts. I got a boyfriend pretty soon after getting there and grew comfortable with my own little network of acquaintances - primarily the boyfriend, roommates, his roommates, and the people I went to church with. I also went to school with my best friend as my roommate, so I still had ties from home.
I want to step out of the box with no strings attached this time, and see where I'll go. I think that when you get too comfortable somewhere, there is a need for change - whether it be how far you put yourself out there, what you are active with or involved in, or even something as extreme as what I am doing: changing your location completely. I think that when I become too familiar with my surroundings, there isn't as much room for growth as there might be in someplace that isn't within my comfort zone.
I'm excited to start over new and find a different definition of "being independent". I am antsy - my feet want to get moving and get some variety back into life.
Bring it, Arizona.
I'm ready.
I know how feel about the whole moving thing. I have moved my whole life too. You are going to do amazing in Arizona! I am so proud of you for doing something like that. I don't think I could do that. I love you Abby!
ReplyDeleteWant to know what it's like to grow up in the same house with the same people your entire life? Hm...gave me a great idea for an upcoming post on my blog. Follow it and I'll tell you how I feel about it in a couple days. Love you!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I'm really excited for you to go to Arizona! It WILL be exciting and adventurous!