Wednesday, June 8, 2011

DIRT-y Confessions

It's time to make a confession...
I love the smell of manure.

Every memory associated with it is wonderful to me.

One whiff, and I'm on the back porch of the house where I grew up most of my childhood - feet barefoot and burrowing in warm red dirt, our yard just as plain as the suburb itself. Breathe in, and you'll smell the dairy farm close by - strong and coming across the wind every night at dusk.

Inhale a little bit more and I'm at my first rodeo, sitting on cold, metal bleachers and shivering with the anticipation of something I'd never known before but always wanted to. I'm sitting so close to the arena that I open my mouth and the grit of dirt coats my teeth and tongue. I couldn't get enough of the barrel racing and bull riding - it'd keep me coming back every year after.

One last breath and my feet are in stirrups on the ride last summer - the majestic Tetons ahead and the Snake River winding below in a valley as green and lush as ever from the drizzling rain. Sitting high in the seat of my saddle, life never felt so good. My veins pulsate when my horse picks up speed, and we become one smooth stream of motion - one body - together.

I'm no cowgirl by birth - I've been raised in big cities my whole life. But when you love the smell of manure as much as I do and you're not afraid to get your boots dirty...

You know where your heart is. :)

4 comments:

  1. You are so funny! I must admit that's a little gross, so you MUST be in love with the cow-gal life! Ha ha. You are so cute, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, you honestly kill me. if i would have known that i would have made a special trip with you down to queen creek to smell the loveliness that is manure. let me know if you need my address so i can get my key back. come back soon so we can play more than we did. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup. You are a true cowgirl! Everyone always told me that I was a true cowgirl when I liked the smell of horse poo!

    ReplyDelete